Subject: subscribe
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:01:14 -0500
From: "Laura Jones" <lmjones@ptd.net>

I definitely am very interested in knowing more about the Aymara language,
especially,   I worked some years as a linguist, am familiar with Greek,
Russian, Arabic and Hebrew, all of which are linguistically very sophisticated
languages - compared, for instance, to the European languages and English,
which do not have the same linguistic perfection.  So I was absolutely
fascinated by the verb tables, the whole thing about the roots and suffixes.  I
think my brain has assimilated all it can for this session, but I'm definitely
going to keep on learning all I can.  I'm a little surprised that when the
language is so tremendously sophisticate, I don't see anything about a
literature or a writing system.  Of course, the literature can be oral, Greek
literature was transmitted orally for a long time, and even when the great
tragedians, etc., came along, I never researched it because I never before was
interested in the issue, but I bet most of the Greeks were still illiterate and
knew the literature orally.  I see you mention the decadence of Tiwanaku, maybe
the language suffered a kind of eclipse at that time?  I mean, I think Sanskrit
is linguistically a very fine language, but now it is used mostly for scholarly
treatises - although there is a very good grammar of Sanskirt, which I imagine
might compare with Ludovico Bertonio's work on Aymara.  I guess, come to think
of it, that having a good grammar would be one way to preserve the purity of a
language so it would not degenerate as the vernacular changed, already with
koine Greek, the Greek language is linguistically declining - anyhow, I will
read with interest anything you can send me.  Thank you very much, Sincerely,
Laura Jones

--